Friday, June 21, 2013

Awesome Quotes to Live By


I love quotes. I think brief, yet profound bits of wisdom make the biggest impact sometimes. Not everyone will sit through an inspiring article, but taking a second to read an inspiring quote is more likely to grab their attention and make them think. For example, the above quote certainly made me think the first time I saw it. 

I think it's a great idea to find quotes that speak to you and use them as mantras or rules for meaningful living. If you're interested in finding some great quotes to live by, check out some of my favorites!    

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." ~ Charles Swindoll

This quote changed my whole perspective on life. I used to believe that the essence of life was made up of what happened to me. But it's the way I react to and handle what happens to me that matters. We can't always control what life throws our way, but we can control how we choose to look at those things.

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." ~ Albert Schweitzer 

This has been my truth time and time again. When I'm doing something that makes me happy, I feel successful, even if there isn't fame, fortune or notoriety attached to it.

"When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you." ~ African Proverb 

I could write a book on what this quote personally means to me, but I will just simply say that when you're nice to yourself, patient with yourself and happy with yourself, external sources can't truly take those things away from you. We're our own worst enemies.

"Count your joys instead of your woes. Count your friends instead of your foes." ~ Irish Proverb

I generally have a glass half full perspective on life. It's draining to complain about everything that is wrong and everyone who has treated me unfairly. I'd much rather focus on the things I love and the people who make me happy...And surround myself with people who do the same.

"If you propose to speak, always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind." ~ Buddha 

This is a great rule of thumb. We all need to be nicer to each other.

"Until you stop breathing, there is more right with you than wrong with you." ~ Jon Kabat-Zinn 

This is just an encouraging little truth to remind you of your incredible worth as a living, breathing human.

"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is." ~ H. Jackson Browne 

I love this little quote. It's so clever and wise. You will always be rewarded for the risks you take in one way or another.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson 

This is probably one of my all-time favorite quotes. I used to measure my worth as a person on how successful or accomplished I was---in school, in work, in life in general. The fact that I live my life slow, suck at being an adult, and usually feel ten steps behind everyone else makes me feel like a complete failure sometimes. But then I think about all the people who have felt inspired by me and my work over the past couple of years. That, my friends, is success. Helping other people is what truly makes you successful.

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not." ~ Unknown

This is a rather life-changing notion. I think we're all guilty of thinking limiting thoughts such as, "I can't do that. That's not who I am. That's not what I'm good at." The moment you tell yourself you can't do something, your reality will show you reasons to believe it. But kicking limiting beliefs to the curb and giving yourself a chance will cultivate results. Always.

"Let go or be dragged." ~ American Proverb

Self-explanatory. What is dragging you down? Whatever it is, let go of it. It really is that simple. I do it all the time.

Do you have a favorite quote?

<3 Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment