Friday, May 17, 2013

The 9 Best Nuggets of Career Advice I've Ever Heard

Image source: flickr.com 

I am the farthest thing from a career expert. The only thing I've ever done is write...And dog-sit. But there is a lot of simple, yet fantastic career advice out there that can be applicable for just about anyone.

Here are my personal favorites:

1. Ignore the naysayers.

You know who they are---the people who don't believe in you or don't want to see you do what you want to do. Your dreams and career choices are none of their business. Proving people wrong is one of the best kinds of success.

2. Stay true to yourself.

Do the kind of work that matters to you and makes your soul happy. I think finding the right job is a lot like finding the right mate. No job is perfect, but there is always a job that is perfect for you. Go find it.

3. Be nice.

Being a bratty or super competitive snob is a major turn off in just about any industry. People might bow down at your feet to your face (out of fear that you'll attack them if they don't), but trust me when I say that they secretly can't stand you. Be nice to people---clients, bosses, coworkers, fans, whoever. What goes around comes around. No one likes a brat.

4. Branch out.

Learn new things. Expand your horizons. Always be eager to get out of your comfort zone and explore new territory. Be the very best you can be at whatever you do.

5. Celebrate your successes. 

Celebrate and reward yourself anytime you succeed, whether it's on a small scale or a large scale. All success is good success, and you deserve to thoroughly enjoy your every victory. Doing so will motivate you to reach for even more victories!

6. Buddy up to the right people. 

Befriend people who are doing what you want to do. Find a mentor. Ask questions. Network. Get your business friends to introduce you to their business friends. Create a strong support system of people who support you and want to see you succeed.

7. Have a vision.

I read the following quote in a book one time: "You cannot get what you want unless you know specifically what it is. It's pretty tough to accomplish something you can't define." It's good to have some clear, solid goals to motivate you into action. My overall career vision gets a little fuzzy at times, but I've gotten into the habit of sitting myself down at least once a month and getting clear about what I'm hoping to accomplish in my professional life. I set new goals and come up with new ideas regularly. Having a vision will keep you on track and help you stay in alignment with whatever you're hoping to achieve.

8. Be smart about your finances.

I started keeping a budget at the beginning of the year, and I have recently gotten better at distinguishing wants from needs. I don't need that overpriced ice cream. I don't need a new cell phone. I don't need 75% of all items in Barnes & Noble. I am extremely frugal and try to save as much as I possibly can. Pay attention to where your money is going, and don't hold on too tightly to the widely held belief that "the money will always follow." I'm not saying you should be a cheapskate or deprive yourself of the occasional desired luxury. I'm just saying you should try not to spend blindly or avoid keeping track of your finances.

9. Maintain balance.  

And finally, don't forget to strike a good balance between work and play. One of my biggest priorities in life is to give a fair amount of attention to everything that is important to me. Don't let your job take over your whole life or be your whole life. Work may be important, but so is play, love, joy and rest.

<3 Madison    

No comments:

Post a Comment