Friday, August 23, 2013

28 Things You Have Permission to Do

Image source: flickr.com 

I used to (and still do sometimes) spend a lot of time feeling like I had to have approval or validation before doing something. We all like knowing that we're not alone. Whenever I want to do something out of the ordinary, it's almost like a reflex to Google if anyone else is doing it too or if it's considered okay to do it. It would make me feel better to read about people who were in the same boat as I was. It made me feel like maybe I was normal after all. 

I'm far from the average Jane, but I realize now that that's okay. I'm uniquely me, and I have every right to do whatever makes me happy, regardless of whether or not it puts me at risk for judgement. And no matter what you do, you're at risk for judgment, so you might as well not even worry about being judged in the first place. 

The following list is inspired by both my own experiences and what I commonly hear other people getting flack for. I hope it gives you some reassurance. 

Here are 28 things you have permission to do... 

1. Love and commit to your job, even if the pay is mediocre

2. Be single

3. Hate social gatherings

4. Live a small life

5. Spoil your pets

6. Put your needs before other people's 

7. Choose love or kindness as a religion

8. Say no 

9. Vent  

10. Embrace the unknown

11. Create a wedding or baby board on Pinterest, even if you're not engaged or don't plan on having a baby anytime soon

12. Take a nap in the middle of the day

13. Watch daytime television while everyone else is at work

14. Be angry

15. Be sad

16. Be happy

17. Be bored

18. Be afraid 

19. Blog about whatever you want  

20. Suck at being a grown-up and then blame the school system for teaching you how to dissect frogs instead of teaching you how to do your taxes  

21. Want dessert after every meal

22. Ask for help

23. Talk to yourself in your mind...or out loud

24. Be a total mess

25. Take a huge risk for love 

26. Laugh at inappropriate jokes

27. Daydream 

28. Not wait for permission 

<3 Madison 

No comments:

Post a Comment